Take a tour “suspended in the air”
Your driver will pick you up from your hotel early in the morning.
Drive through Boeotia plain, THEBES, YLIKI LAKE
Stretch up your legs for a few minutes at LAMIA.
Continue your trip through THESSALY to KALAMPAKA.
Light lunch in KALAMPAKA.
Meteora is a vast complex of giant pillars. The Monasteries build on the picks of the sandstone cliffs created million years ago, is the perfect place to achieve absolute isolation.
The first orthodox Christian hermit-monks arrived here between the 9th and 10th century. They lived in complete isolation in caves that are scattered among the cliffs. The first monastic community was organized by a monk named Nilos who set up the rules and cannons in the chapel of Dhoupiani. Two centuries later, a monk named Athanasios established the first monastery, the GREAT METEORON. By the 16th century, at the high of Meteora’s monastic community, thousands of monks practiced in the 24 existing monasteries. Today, only six monasteries are still active, while the remaining fifteen are uninhabited and/or in ruins. Approximately 50 nuns and 20 monks still practicing here, are the living history of the long forgotten Byzantine Empire.
The monasteries of Meteora considered a preservation ark for 2000 year old Christian Orthodox creed, became an official holy place since 1995.
- Visit monasteries containing priceless historical and religious treasures of Byzantine period.
- Enjoy amazing views of the great natural scenery.
Return to Athens in the afternoon
Good to know:
- Please have in mind that it requires quite some climbing to the monasteries. The maximum number of steps 140 to the Holy Trinity monastery. Stephens’s Holy Monastery is connected with a walking bridge (most accessible than any other monastery).
- Appropriate clothing is required to visit the monasteries:
- For women, skirts below the knee are required. Sleeveless clothing and shorts over the knee for men are prohibited
- Skirts and shawls are available in the entrance for those who are unprepared.
- English speaking driver
- Private pick up and drop off from your hotel in Athens
- Private Air Conditioned vehicle
- Entrance fees to archaeological sites and museums
- Official tourist guide
- Meals and beverages
- Tips and gratuities
Mercedes vito -viano up to 6 people 700,00
Taxi up to 3 people 600,00
Bus up to 15 people 1.000,00
Luxury up to 3 people 750,00