Drive along the scenic coastal road of the Saronic Gulf to Corinth Canal, which merges the Aegean with the Ionian Sea. (short stop for photos of the breathtaking view)
Shortly thereafter we reach the ruins of Corinth, the scenery of Euripides tragedy “Media”. Pier Paolo Pasolini adapted the legend into a movie in 1969, starring the famous Greek soprano Maria Callas, as Media. Peter Stein directed Media in the theater of Epidaurus (2005).
St. Paul lived and preached here for two years (Acts 18: 1-8).
Proceed to MYCENAE (An UNESCO World Heritage Site.)
- Visit the Lion’s Gate and the palace up the hill
- The museum is full of cultural handicrafts and golden items that give you a glimpse into the everyday life of Mycenaeans, beyond the stories left on their legacy. It is a good chance to refresh Greek mythology.
- Visit the tomb of Agamemnon’s father, Atreus.
Lunch in NAFPLION
Nafplion is one of the most historic cities of Argolis region, full of spectacular monuments, from the ancient to medieval times. It became the first capital of Greece, after the war of independence and hosted the first Greek Parliament.
After lunch, leave for EPIDAURUS
The sanctuary of Asclepius, demigod of Medicine, was the most celebrated healing center of classical world. The prosperity brought by the “Asclepeion”, enabled Epidaurus to embark on an ambitious building reconstruction program, including the huge theater, famous for its beauty, symmetry and superior acoustics with a capacity of 14000 spectators. In summer, the theater hosts performances of ancient Greek drama. To avoid the sold-out disappointment, book in advance.
Visit the theater and the museum of the site
Return to Athens
Useful links: Odysseus.culture.gr & greekfestival.gr
- English speaking driver
- Private pick up and drop off from your hotel in Athens
- Private Air Conditioned vehicle
- Entrance fees to archaeological sites and museums
- Official tourist guide
- Meals and beverages
- Tips and gratuities
Mercedes vito-viano up to 6 people 450,00
Luxury up to 3 people 500,00
Taxi up to 3 people 350,00
Bus up to 15 people 700,00