ATHENS SIGHTSEEING CITY TOUR
This tour will take you to Athens ancient and contemporary destinations where you will enjoy western’s world’s heritage treasure and UNESCO-awarded memorials.
The tour begins with the visit of Acropolis, the defining icon of Greece’s capital city.
Acropolis: Your penultimate destination
First inhabited in early Neolithic period around 6000 B.C. and became a monument to the cultural and political achievement of the citizens of Athens. As you will walk up the hill you will discover the Propylaia, the temple of Nike, the Erechtheion and, finally, Parthenon. Masterpieces of the golden age of Athens (5th century B.C.) were erected to glorify the city’s protector goddess Athena. In the foot of Acropolis, the ancient Agora (political center), the Hill of Democracy (Pnyx) in Philoppapus hill, the Hill of Mars (ancient Court House), the Roman Odeon of Herodes Atticus and the Theatre of Dionysus (5thcentury B.C.).
Journey through Athens’s city and historical relics: driving and visiting around.
- Syntagma Square (photo-stop, if possible)
- change of presidential Guard
- House of the Greek Parliament
- Memorial of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier
- The Panathenaic Stadium, where the first modern Olympic Games where held (1896) (photo-stop, if possible).
- Zappeion Hall and National Gardens
- Presidential Mansion
- Hadrian’s Arch
- Temple of Zeus
- Athens Trilogy: Capital’s top ranking institutions, neoclassical buildings of 19th century B.C. (Athens’s Academy, University of Athens, National Library)
- Venture further to Omonoia Square via Athinas (Central Market) to Monastiraki area (antique shops, second hand shops and flea market)
- Enjoy lunch in PLAKA in a tavern serving local delicacies (optional)
- Take some time to relax, taste Greek coffee and stroll around the old part of the city.
- Drive through Kolonaki area.
- You can enjoy an amazing view of the entire city from the top of LYCABETTUS HILL (photo-stop, if possible).
- Drive along V. Sofia’s avenue: S.A., U.K., France, Italy and other countries’ embassies, Byzantine Museum, Cycladic Museum, War Museum, Megaron Mousikis (opera building), Hilton hotel, National Gallery and “The Runner”-a Large Sculpture made of glass plates (by C.Varotsos)
- Continue your tour with a visit to the NATIONAL ARCHAEOLOGICAL MUSEUM
NATIONAL ARCHAEOLOGICAL MUSEUM
It is the largest museum in Greece and one of the most important institutions in the world devoted to ancient Greek art. Founded at the end of 19th century to house and protect antiquities from all over the country.
- Prehistoric collection dating from 7000 B.C. includes the golden collection of Mycenae
- The sculpture collection
- Vases and minor objects
- Egyptian and jewelry collection
- The Antikythera Mechanism (an ancient Greek astronomical device described as the first analogue computer)
Get the most of your tour with a professional tourist guide we can provide you
Duration: 2 hours
- English speaking driver
- Private pick up and drop off from your hotel in Athens
- Private Air Conditioned vehicle
- Entrance fees to archaeological sites and museums
- Official tourist guide
- Meals and beverages
- Tips and gratuities